9/02/2018

The little chemist girl


I struggled to get up from my bed so as to visit a chemist for drugs prescription. Unlike me,I hardly fall sick. My type of sickness comes once in a blue moon and if not detected or treated properly,it gets worse  .

I have been feeling funny and weak for the past two days after been beaten by the rain. After wards, I was feeling feverish and cough took over ,my lungs were paining me and I couldn't bear it anymore.

On getting to the chemist,I saw the little girl and she greeted me the normal way yoruba indigenes usually greet an elder.

“ how are you dear,where is your madam?" I asked curiously. My eyes were searching for her madam in their spacious drug store.

“ she is not around". She said looking at the table where she was making some records of the drugs she sold. “ what do you want ma?" She asked me without raising up her head.
/>
“ I really need to see your madam. I am sure she will be in a better position to know the drugs to give me. " I emphasized.
“ She is not around now and I do not know when she will be in. Let me attend to you. I can handle it."

“You can what? Nooooooo! I rather wait for her to come back than allow you prescribe drugs for me. She supposed to be around in situations like this."

She looked at me and smiled. She asked me to describe how I was feeling. I was so reluctant to do so. After much thinking,I did and she brought out some drugs.
“ please let me talk to your madam. I am not safe taking your prescription. I rather talk to her on phone and explain to her. " I requested.

She budged and brought out her small phone and dialed her number. After few minutes,her madam was on the phone with me. I explained to her and she prescribed some drugs to me. I was amazed when I checked the drugs the little girl gave me, it was exactly the same drugs the woman prescribed.

After the call,she package the drugs and I could not utter a word. She said“ my madam cannot leave me in this store without teaching me the rules. I know what I am doing. You thought I do not know anything here. I know so much than you think."

I was feeling awkward because I rated her as a novice. Never underestimate people. At times when we see people,who are not in a certain position,we tend to underrate them. We believe that there are certain people who supposed to attend to our needs and do it better.

An apprentice can know her work better than her boss. She can know many things her boss does not know. Let's endeavor to give those who are in the process of becoming better a chance to make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment