9/30/2017

The sweet-bitter part of going to a popular market called ‘’Oja-Oba’’





 I was really disturbed in my spirit how someone could wake up one morning and all they could do is to stop by and fixed their gaze on an ongoing campaign. Seeing this sort of event makes me wonder if these people do not have a place to go or something better to do.

Just as the other day, I happened to enter one of the biggest market in Akure; Oja Oba. I was bewildered at the crowd that gathered around Mortein insecticide mobile truck at the market square just to watch the ongoing event. Most of the kids were hawking one thing or the other in the market. I looked around and saw many of them carrying trays of oranges, shear butter, groundnut, pap, and the rest on their heads, standing and watching the ongoing event.

Speaking for that day, their selling on that particular day has ended on that spot because it was almost late for everyone to go to their various houses. If they were given a choice, they would have sold more goods on that day. They had to stand and watch something that cannot put food on their table. So sad!!

It was an uneasy scenario as sellers and passersby where packed at other end of the market, pushing one another side by side in order to gain free entrance and exit from the market.
The occasion changed the atmospheric condition of the market as everywhere was crowded, making the environment a place of warfare where people where at each other’s throat especially if you mistakenly steps on someone’s toe.

I could feel the heat in the market because you have to press your skin against another person so as to gain entrance or exit the market. It became worse to the point that people were throwing their legs into the messy pot holes field with mud.
The sound of the music and the fun fair created by the entertainers immensely drew the attention of hawkers, passersby, sellers and those who do not have a place of destination and thereby making the event center their final destination.

Although, the intention of the organizers of the event were to create awareness, give out gifts to those who participated in the funfair and at the same entertain the people, but the case turned the other way round by  creating a crowded environment.

Meanwhile, not everyone will embrace the event wholeheartedly because the rate at which crowd gathered at the mortein mobile truck that day was overwhelming.
A tomatoe seller, who could not handle the movement of passersby directly in front of her stock, warned one of the passersby who tried to force himself to pass through the market, causing her goods to fall on the ground because of the rowdiness of the market.

As scary and chocky that market was, I knew that not everyone would love the distortion of movement Mortein has caused on that day. I decided to interact with one of the sellers who complained bitterly, saying that this kind of event should be taking to somewhere wider than this market, adding that the event has created crowds in the market and people who have come to watch the entertainers have apparently refused to leave.

‘’ just a while ago, someone pushed my tomatoes and some of them fell on the floor, how do I start washing and replacing them back. If care is not taking, they will push everything on the ground. What they are doing is great by creating awareness and at the same time making people happy, in a way; they are also creating distortion in the market.

‘’ I have not being able to sell my goods since they entered the market because any customer that wants to buy something from me will prefer going inside the market so as to avoid being pushed by another passerby. This has been my headache since. I am not against what they do, but they should consider us that are at the entrance of the market. ‘’ she complained.

I really felt bad for her because she was speaking with so much earnestly and if care was not taken, she could have exploded. I was like ‘’ See what people are going through here while others are trying to gain customers to themselves and afterwards disappears from the market.’’
Another respondent decried at the sight of the event. He lamented that he has been outside the market since morning because he could not push his wheel barrow into the market unless he passed through the longer route which he has never taken before.

‘’ I have not sold a single item since morning. As you can see I sell tooth brushes, torch light and other items. I usually push my wheel barrow round the market so as to make sales. But this has distorted my movement because of the crowds.  They should not have brought it to the market center. I know they want an appropriate place for the awareness but look at what they have created instead.’’ The respondent sighted.

While others are finding the situation difficult and not encouraging, some people are also enjoying the opportunity being given to them.

One of the hawkers, Tope Sanusi who was filled up with so much happiness and joy towards the event, expressed how happy and joyful he was towards the event; saying that he enjoys being in this type of place that it makes his work less stressful.

He said: ‘’ I just came back from school and I have to carry these oranges to sell for my mother. On getting to this market, I saw these people here with music and giving us different things to make us happy, I don’t think people should complain.

‘’As for me, I am not bothered because I am enjoying myself, once I am done, I will continue my hawking.’’ He said with so much joy.’’

It so sad the some people are glad to have met the event on that day, while other grumbled towards it.  If big companies can penetrate a big market by causing unfavorable situation for those ordinary people who are managing to survive by selling peanut in the market, how else will the nation get better?

My sincere opinion is everything should be done with consideration. For the fact that you are getting crowd who loves what you do does not mean it is beneficial to them. Think about the negative impact it will have on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment